An Artist in Residence position in Thornden Woods with the Kent Wildlife Trust. The project was entered for the Canterbury Cultural Awards and was a finalist in two categories: The community Award and the Environmental Landscape Award


Friday 2 September 2011

Xylophone Experiments?

See now........ what you have are pentatonic or diatonic scales, and dissonance is often a problem on chromatic instruments......er......... fine......I have no musical knowledge whatsoever, but I have really enjoyed just experimenting with this. I think technically speaking I am collecting empirical evidence and data for application when constructing the instrument on a larger scale.

Actually I am just making trial and error experiments on a model xylophone. Choosing small logs of different thickness and cutting them to different lengths. Some I have cut in half longways and removed a lot of wood from the back, hoping this would make them sound better than just a plain log. I googled xylophones and found out that if you measure 22.5% of the total lengh in from each end to find the 'nodes', alternatively you could use the 'sprinkling salt' method?


empirical experiments
My logs are going to be hung vertically, so the location of nodes and support under them seems a little irrelevant, it does change the sound of the log but whose to say it sounds better than just a plain log? I can't.

my experiment with logs cut in half
 These sound different to just plain logs, and I quite like the smooth flat face to engrave designs on. I had to invent ways off attaching them so they stopped spinning round and round when played. With the back scooped off they look like they might have been made by someone who knew what they were doing?


my experiment with whole logs
 The whole logs produce a different sound and I cant tell which is best I will have to consult with my friends at Kent Wildlife Trust. Practically speaking it appears to me that both work just as well, though some pieces of wood are just naff sounding if they are a bit soft or damp, or may be just too small. What you hit the logs with also makes a difference, whether it is a piece of rebar (metal) which is what I used or just another piece of wood? So there are a lot of variables none seem particularly wrong, but then I can't hardly tell if notes go higher or lower.

What I do really like is carving patterns which wrap around the logs, it makes the instrument look rather primeval.......like my musical abilities.




No comments:

Post a Comment