An Artist in Residence position in Thornden Woods with the Kent Wildlife Trust. The project was entered for the Canterbury Cultural Awards and was a finalist in two categories: The community Award and the Environmental Landscape Award


Wednesday 22 December 2010

Seasons Greetings.

Seasons Greetings.
I went for a walk in the woods one evening with my dog. It was not snowing but heavy snow was still around, it was getting darker all the time. The whiteness of the snow kind of reflected everywhere and created its own light. I felt I was walking in a David Attenborough documentory one minute, next I was a character in an East European fairy tale, then while passing through a section of fir trees I felt like Sitting Bull refusing to live on a reservation land and living wild as Indians had always done, through yet another harsh winter. 

The following day I went back to the woods with my camera and four sticks which I had wrapped wool around. I placed these sticks in the trees and photographed them. Then I used the photo as an emailable xmas card.

It is at this point that I had best explain the thing with sticks with wool wrapped around? At the end of each month I collect 4 sticks from the woods and wrap wool around them in colours that I think represent the month just past, one stick for each week so as to record any gradual changes. Then I take them back to the woods and photograph them. I started doing this in July10 and will continue until July11, thus creating a series of photos which record the passing of a year, week by week, month by month. So I used one of my December Sticks photos for a xmas card. 

No comments:

Post a Comment